New Delhi, August 23: The Delhi Police on Saturday said no permission has been granted for any protest against the UGC Equity Regulations, 2026, or the reservation system at Shah Auditorium on August 23.
The clarification came after videos circulated on social media claiming that permission had been granted to hold a demonstration at the venue. The police termed the claims false and misleading.
The Delhi Police said prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), corresponding to Section 144 of the erstwhile CrPC, are already in force in the North District.
Under the orders, protest marches, processions, demonstrations and assemblies of five or more people are prohibited, the police said.
The police also advised people against forwarding or sharing unverified information on social media and warned that legal action would be taken against those found creating or disseminating fake news.
The clarification followed a gathering at Jantar Mantar on Friday, where protesters under the banner of Reservation Hatao Andolan (RHA) demonstrated against the caste-based reservation system.
The protesters called for reservation in education and employment to be based on income rather than caste or social identity. They also raised demands for a “one family, one reservation” policy and withdrawal of the UGC’s 2026 caste-equity directives.
Police and central forces were deployed at Jantar Mantar as protesters gathered at the designated demonstration area to maintain law and order.
Reservation Hatao Andolan has also used social media to mobilise support for its campaign against the reservation system and has called for further physical protests.